Monday 24 September 2007

Kiteboarding Lesson No.1 in Tarifa.




Monday 24th September

Victor:

Hi, We closed the restaurant a bit earlier than usual on Saturday night and all had a nice drink with friends in the bar just up the road, Windmill bar.

Sunday morning my mum got up early and went to our bar to cook sausages and jacket potatoes for a picnic. At around 10:30am Sunday we left the bar and drove the 75 min drive to Tarifa which is in the province of Cadiz, well known for its strong and constant winds. It has become a world-renowned centre for both windsurfing and kite boarding. It’s a lovely place and on arriving at Club-Mistral we had a coffee on their really lovely bar terrace and then went on to sign me up for KITEBOARDING lessons. YES! You did hear right. My godparents Lizzy and Russell have been really generous for my 18th and bought me a coarse of lessons.

On Sunday, I had 2 lessons (2 hours) on the beach with a small trainer kite. It has all the same chords and harnessing as it’s big brother, but is much quicker to react, so if you can control the trainer kite, then you’ll be better prepared once they let you loose in the water, with a full blow kite. (But without a board at this stage.)

I am not going to lie to you it was very difficult, but once I got into the second hour, I was well away flying the thing more or less as it should be flown.

I talked to some people on the beach and they all told me that it’s vital to have the lessons first and also they told me that it is very tricky to learn to kiteboard. Anyhow I will try my best and if I don’t get the hang of it, I’ll change to windsurfing, which is perhaps just a bit easier to learn.

I hope that you like the pictures from Tarifa. I apologise for the poor quality, but they had to be re-photographed from the original bromides in order to meet the deadline for this blog.


Click Here! Bar Restaurant for Lease West-Marbella

No comments: