Thursday 8 November 2007

Teachers; Who Ever Said They Were Capable of Running a School?

Thursday 8th November



Hi,

Just before half term began, I called Victor’s school in Marbella from our bar, as we had a quiet moment. I wasn’t able to speak to the head, but I did leave a message with her secretary. Basically I wanted to complain about some negative comments on my son’s half-term report. He’s in the middle of 3 tough A levels and the school were claiming that he’d not been doing enough Community Services work within the school.

Well I was sting in the bar restaurant yesterday with Olivia, when I got a call from Victor’s head of 6th form. He said that this years upper 6th don’t do much work during their free periods, so he felt that they could devote I hour per week to helping teachers with younger children. I agreed that that was a pretty fair arrangement. Although I felt that Victor who works hard on Maths, Chem and Physics, shouldn’t have been lumped together with the less academic faction. Also I felt that the school were delinquent in not being aware of just how much Community Services Victor does outside of school. (He cares for me as I am an invalid and my partner works late most nights and he works hard collecting money in our bar restaurant for Street Children in Nepal.)

However it didn’t end there; he also wants Victor to act as mentor to a boy who is a problem within the school. Let’s just call him Juan. Juan is totally disorganized in his schoolwork. He rarely does his homework and rarely comes to school with the correct books for that day’s lessons.

Victor did try to help Juan, but Juan seldom turned up when they were supposed to meet and Victor was left charging around the school looking for him. On one occasion to help them bond Victor asked me to take them to a youngsters bar in Puerto Banus one Friday night. We were all suppose to meet up in our bar restaurant in Estepona and set off from there, but yes!; youve guessed it Juan didn't turn up!After a few weeks of making zero progress Victor simply gave up the task and of course like most young people it didn’t occur to him to report this fact back to his head of 6th form, hence the negative comments on his report.

When we got back to the bar yesterday, after school, I tried to explain to him, that his mistake had been one of poor communication, rather than poor performance, but after about two sentences he started to raise his voice and get very defensive/argumentative. I backed down straight away; as I feel that arguing is both pointless and foolish and it is something I try my best to avoid at all cost. Of course 18 year olds are usually the opposite and have to prove themselves to right at all times. After dropping the subject we left the bar to go home and check on the Yorkie Puppies, who were of course absolutely divine.


Cheers

Graham

>>Click Here! Bar Restaurant for Rent, Sale, Costa del Sol, Spain<<

(If you are looking for a really brilliant architect who is bi-lingual and will convert your house or build you a new one, together with all the correct legal papers; please email me through my website for more details).

Town house in Urb. Monte, Marbella. Needs doing up. Quick sale sought. Going Cheap

No comments: