Friday 9 November 2007

Being Happy is a Choice, So is Being Unhapy!

Friday 9th November


An inspirational scene from our communal garden Estepona-San Pedro.

Hi,

I’ve noticed that the main theme of most people’s conversation in the bar and around where I live on the Costa del Sol is complaining. Ok it’s pretty easy to steer them onto a more positive topic, which is something I have learned to do in my bar restaurant over the years.

Beautiful flowers outside our apt.

Many years ago, we lost a baby in the Intensive Care unit in Materno Hospital, Malaga and at that time both Olivia and I were at an all time emotional and psychological low. I met Chas at that time in my bar and I noticed that he was so positive about every aspect of life. I found him a great inspiration in a time of need. I learnt a lot from him and we have remained really good friends ever since.

A wonderful plant outside our bar restaurant in Estepona-San Pedro.

Chas got me into Buddhist meditation, which helped me to realize that what actually matters is NOW and that I should be living my life in the present moment and not dwelling on what had happened to me in the past. Meditation is often a group activity and it allowed me to meet other people who interested me and uplifted me. There are many Buddhist groups now in Andalucia. I learned at this point that when you think you have a problem, something to complain to the world about; the best thing to do is to put it to the back of your mind and concentrate on developing a keen interest in other peoples lives instead. After all complaining just makes a negative experience become more prominent in your mind and therefore more real.

The world can be beautiful, if we choose to focus on it's beauty.

I remember around this time being at a Buddhist meeting on the Costa del Sol, in Marbella and telling somebody I met there that I found it really hard to work in my bar with thoughts of my personal loss on my mind all the time. I was told by this person who had more wisdom than I, that thinking about my problems was my own choice and that as soon as I saw that reality and started to think about helping other people get around their problems, I would immediately start to feel better about life. This lady was absolutely right. She latterly bought a bar restaurant for lease on the Costa el Sol, in Fuengirola actually and I still visit her in her bar and always thank her for those words of wisdom, which helped me to recover from my personal crisis.

Yes! It’s so easy just to slip into the role of being a victim and then go around boring people with our problems, actually a friend in my bar told me that if I made a list of my problems down one side of a piece of paper and then made a list of my blessings in the other column, I would be sure to discover that I had a lot more blessings than I had problems. You meet a lot of wise people in bars.

A lovely detail. A customer from our bar carted the rock from Marbella.

Really I don’t have much to complain about. Today my cleaning lady came. She’s from Ecuador and has left her husband and children there, so she can come and clean houses here and send money back each month to support them. Her mane is Nancy and I have never once heard her complain about her life.

Nancy from Ecuador. A great cleaner and a lovely person. She supports her children who are at home in Ecuador. What have we to complain about?

My Urbanization:

We are so pleased! The president came to our bar restaurant a few days ago to tell us that he had contracted a firm of builders from Estepona to build red brick entrances a various existing entrance to our urbanization. They have already started. The quality of brick laying is fantastic and it will look great when it’s finished. One of the Spanish customers in the bar told us that they are making special wrought iron gates. That means that the whole place will be gated and much more secure than it is now. He asked me for the name of the architect who had engineered the recent did the modernization of our bar restaurant, as he wanted o be sure that the finished job would fit in nicely with the design of the urbanization and of course he also wanted the paper work completed quickly. I told him that the guy was called Ildefonso Perez and he would be able to make sure that the project was completed smoothly and provide all the necessary paperwork stamped up to date by both the Estepona town hall and the College of Architects in Malaga. I thought about saying it would have been much better to get the architect before rather than after they had started laying brick’s, but as he’s the president of our urbanization, I decided to button my lip. In Andalusia often things are done this way round!

The guys who modernized our bar under Ildefonso Perez (architect) are now building wonderful red brick entrances to gate our urbanization. Ildefonso Perez, will hurry all the planning permission through.

There’s always something to be cheerful about!

Cheers

Graham

>>Click Here! Bar Restaurant for Rent, Sale, Costa del Sol, Spain<<

(If you are looking for a really brilliant architect who is bi-lingual and will convert your house or build you a new one, together with all the correct legal papers; please email me through my website for more details).

Town house in Urb. Monte, Marbella. Needs doing up. Quick sale sought. Going Cheap

No comments: