Wednesday 3 October 2007

Terrific Downpour Brings Cascading Water Down Our Stairs. Problems in the 6th Form.





Wednesday 3rd October

Graham,

Hi, Last evening we had a terrific downpour. We live not far from our bar restaurant in a 4-storey block of apts on the 4th floor, however there is a roof terrace above us. You go up another 2 flights of stairs from our apt and there are 2 heavy steel doors which let onto the terrace. The terrace gives you a 360o view of the area, it’s fantastic. However due to lack of maintenance one of the doors fell-off recently and we are waiting for the Community to repair the broken hinges and re-hang the door. Anyway last nights torrential down poor, resulted in gallons of rainwater coming in through this unprotected doorway and proceeding to run down the stairs. That wouldn’t have been such a disaster had I not have put about 200 books, to be given to charity, outside the front door.

Victor was quick to realise what was happening i.e. the boxes of books were getting very wet. Like a hero he ran out and recovered all the boxes, without a thought for his own life. Only one box actually broke and we dried the rest out over night.

Ines called last night, which was nice as we are both really missing each other. She is having a marvelous holiday and today is going on an excursion to visit a school in land in the Dominican Republic, where the children have virtually no materials to work with. Ines has been collecting school equipment, things like pencils, colouring things etc. She has been buying things herself and also asking her friends in Spain to join the initiative, so she has loads of stuff to give to these very poor children. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures, which I will share with you.

Victor:

Hi. I am fed up at school because as a 6th former we are treated like children by our head teacher, who prior to being appointed was head of lower school. I do 3 tough A levels and it is imperative that I get most of my studying and H/W done in my free periods. My dad and myself went to Bar Ricardo yesterday after school and we discussed my problem:

“The Problem” The head teacher doesn’t like groups of us congregating in the 6th form common room, so there are times when I can’t work there. The alternative is to work in the library, but recently due to staffing shortages, the library has been shut quite a lot.

Here’s what my dad recommended I should do:

· Form a quorum to represent the 6th form

· Ask for a meeting with the Head.

· Tell the head that we now have a quorum who will speak for the 6th form.

· Inform the Head that we want to be treated as young adults, not children.

· Explain to the Head that we are not able to work properly during our free periods.

· Ask the head for permission for the responsible students in the 6th form to be allowed to sign-out the library key from the school secretary’s office.

My dad say’s that this is the type of structured procedure that is used in industry to gain improvements in working conditions and basically to get what you need to do your job from management.

My dad called the Heads office yesterday, so I am expecting to have to deal with this problem any time soon. I will let you know the outcome.

My dad is going to collect me from school and take me to a nice cafe, afterwards we'll do a bit of cleaning in the bar restaurant, so that it's nice for my mum to return to.

>>Click Here! Bar Restaurant for Rent, Sale, Costa del Sol, Spain<<

No comments: