Thursday 18 October 2007

Never be Too Quick to Make Assumptions About Strangers. Claudio from Chile Arrives in Andalusia.




Thursday 18th October

Graham

Hi,

After having done the school run to Marbella, I went straight back to San Pedro to drop Olivia off, as she is doing a short course there in bar management. San Pedro feria starts tomorrow, so the town has twice the amount of traffic as usual and that’s a lot. I had to buy pizza boxes and chips for the bar and on the way past my favourite bar; Bar El Mastren I spotted an invalid parking place, which was free. After having completed my tasks, I went back the same way and unbelievably; the parking place was still available. I parked up and carried my bedchair to the bar, along with Sami our little Yorkie.

For breakfast I had the usual, toast with olive oil and tomato and a café con leche. The bar was really busy and Rocio the waitress was trying her best to keep up with the orders. I told her that I was in no hurry at all and that brought a smile to her face and she told me that I was the only customer who is not in a hurry. I sat there absorbing the wonderful atmosphere of a town on the Costa del Sol preparing itself for Feria Week.

If I am breakfasting alone in a bar I always take my Sudoku book and usually do one level three puzzle. As I was doing this I noticed that the people on the next table were reading a news paper, so I skewed my eyes up and tried to work out which language it was printed in. After a short while, I decided that they were Spanish, as it was a Spanish newspaper. After another 20 min had elapsed in this very noisy bar I noticed that the same people were making a lot of fuss over Sami, so I said to them in Spanish “She is pregnant.” I was rather shocked when they replied in English, telling me that they thought she was a wonderful dog and so on.

All this reminded me just how much we rely on first impressions and assumptions which mostly turn-out to be incorrect and as we progressed our conversation, I learned that he was called Bryan and came from Cardiff and that she was called Alba and came from Argentina and that they spent the winter in Marbella and La Heredia, so I was wrong in all departments. We chatted for quite a long time about al sorts of things and they turned out to be lovely people. I gave them my card and invited them to visit Olivia and myself at our bar restaurant in Estepona, one day soon.

When you have a small Yorkie, it’s so easy to get talking to new people and one of the things I really like about Spain (Andalusia) is that it is really easy to talk to people you’ve never met before in bars or public places. All in all I had a lovely morning.

This afternoon at 4:30 Olivia’s Brother in Law Claudio who arrived here from Chile this morning, is coming to the bar to see us both, it will be the first time that we’ve met each other, so I am really looking forward to it.

>>Click Here! Bar Restaurant for Rent, Sale, Costa del Sol, Spain<<

No comments: