Friday 26 October 2007

Driving Test easier, Cheaper Here or in the UK?



Friday 26th October

Hi,

We have a pretty young lady who often comes to our bar after work. She has nicely groomed auburn hair and delicate features with quite high cheekbones. Her name is Jilly and I know that she worked in a bar on the Costa del Sol (Estepona I think.) for a couple of years after finishing her A levels and then left when the owner put the bar lease up for sale.

Now Jilly is working in an office, in a sort of small solicitors in Marbella, which here in Spain is called a gestoria. Over the last few weeks I have noticed that she has been studying whilst she sits at the bar and has her after work glass of wine.

This morning I plucked up the courage to ask about her studies by inquiring if she was preparing for an exam. She told me that she was preparing for a really tricky test and that the test was for the theoretical part of her driving test. She went on to say that it takes about a month of hard studying to reach the very high standard required to pass the test, but once she had passed both parts of the driving test, she would be able get a car and to look for a much better job.

I asked her why she didn’t simply go back to the UK to take her driving test there and she explained that it would involve taking at least 2 weeks off work with loss of earnings and traveling costs to go to Britain twice; once to take the theory test and then again to take the practical. She told me that she had given the idea plenty of thought and that she would be able to earn some money working in a bar there, as her parents have a bar restaurant in Swansea and also the accommodation would be free. When I said that it sounded like a great idea to me, she told me that as she has not lived in UK for the last 3 years she would not be eligible to take her test there.

Several people sitting at the bar agreed that although the test here is both arduous and expensive, it’s still the easier of the two options, if you have a job commitment here in Spain to consider.

All this information will be very helpful to pass on to other customers in my bar who have children around 17-18 years of age.

One an unrelated topic; I had an email this morning from a guy who wants to sell up in Manchester and buy, rent a bar restaurant on the Costa del Sol, in Spain, but I think from what he says he is looking for a place with accommodation included, so as my restaurant would not suit him I referred him to a friend in Fuengirola who has a bar lease up for sale with a three bedroom apt above. Maybe it’s what he’s looking for.

Cheers

Graham

>>Click Here! Bar Restaurant for Rent, Sale, Costa del Sol, Spain<<

No comments: