Monday 27 August 2007

Mr Meglomaniac Props-Up Bar for After Work Quicky!






Monday 27th August

Victor

Hi,

I have been really dreading today for ages. I have been overhearing my Mum and Dad talking in the bar to other parents about their children’s A level options and grades. In fact it’s almost the only tropic that’s been up there for discussion in the bar. Oh! Yeh, there has been another matter, two of our customers Fred and Kay have seen a bar offering a lease for sale in La Cala de Mijas and have been pumping my Mum for info. You know the sort of thing. How much should you pay for a bar restaurant lease? How much rent should you pay? Are you better off leasing a bar in Spain or buying a bar?

Well back to today. My Dad and I, were required to attend a meeting about my A/S results and my “A2” options at my school. I go to a private English International College. The reason I was dreading this meeting, is that my grades for Maths were OK, but I didn’t do so well in Chemistry or Physics. Basically I got C’s for both subjects, which actually is a good grade, but the school expected me to get A’s and B’s. The head of Technology who is a regular customer in our bar, was doing the interviewing and had turned from a pleasant mildly amusing bar fly into Mr Megalomaniac himself. My dad apart from being good at running bars, knows a lot about how to get through interviews and he had devoted an hour or so towards coaching me to have a defence ready for anything that Mr Megalomaniac might throw at me. We had already decided that I would talk about how I realized that I needed to be more organised and that I had realized that “A” levels are really tough and was dumping my PS2 so that I could work much harder this coming year. My strongest weapon however was to offer to do a charity collection within the school for street children in Nepal and then as a spin off create some really good PR to help build-up the schools image in the community. That was a waste of time, as Mr M just couldn’t see how valuable such an exercise could be to his school and how it would attract more new children. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. The only place you’ll find Mr M drinking is at our bar. In fact we get loads of teachers stopping at our bar for a quick one after work, but I suppose it’s really understandable, that anyone who has spent a day teaching 20+ kids definitely needs something to distance them from the harshness of reality. Note to myself “Don’t become a teacher. Ever!”

Ok! It’s 4:30 pm and we’ve just arrived back at the bar and guess who’s supping his after work a pint?

No comments: