Thursday 5 July 2007

Panic stations! Olivia has gone to Gibraltar

Thursday 5th July

Graham:

Hi,

Panic stations! Olivia has gone to Gibraltar for the morning to accompany a good friend and client, Julia, plus her daughter, Leonora and Leonora’s exchange friend Rory (Yes! She’s a girl.) The idea of this trip is to show Rory a kind of Little Britain. You know see the policemen, the changing of the guard and of course eat and down a pint, in an English pub. Hmm! I wish I were there now.

Well the idea was that Victor set out the terrace, whilst Eli ran the bar/restaurant, with the help of Eimy. Eimy lives in San Pedro. She worked for us for 15 years and once she’d got married and had a son, she found it too hard to continue the job, but she still comes in when we really need her. (We regard her as the daughter we never had.)

I did the shopping with Victor, but when we got back to the bar he let it slip out casually, that the 16 packets of burger buns that were on his shopping list, he’d not managed to buy, as Mercadona in San Pedro were sold out.

Panic! Very often when there’s a big feria coming up at the weekend, (As indeed there is this weekend.) every Tom, Dick and Harry decide to have a BBQ, plus the fairground people buy them for their burger stalls and the net result is, not a burger left on the shelf, for miles around.
Panic, Panic, Panic and then more Panic!

I took the decision to rush off to Cancelada in the faint hope that we’d get there just before the hoards of marauders arrived hunting out the last of the burger baps, as I got to the shelf in Mercadona (Cancelada) I was just able to clear every last packet of baps, whilst people behind me were giving me looks that would have killed Cruella DeVille and muttering pretty precise speculations about my parentage. I couldn’t allow any sympathy to creep in, this was war, a dog eat dog situation and for a flashing moment I was both Rambo and Bruce Willis rolled into one. Gee! It felt good.

Olivia:
Hi,
I had a great morning in Gib. With the girls, but was worrying that Victor and Graham would cock-up the shopping, leaving me desperately short of some vital commodity, but when I got to the restaurant, they were sitting sipping cold drinks and they’d got everything exactly according to the shopping list I had given them at 7:30 am this morning. I always worry, when there’s simply no need to. I should learn to trust Victor and Graham to do jobs for me correctly.

Oh! Well. Silly Me, I was worrying over nothing again.

No comments: