Thursday 19 July 2007

No Flour. My Worst Nightmare Come True!

Thursday 19th July

Olivia:

Hi,

Graham is almost pain free at the moment. He can’t lift anything or walk too far or sit in a chair, but his mood has changed beyond all recognition. It’s amazing when someone is perpetually in pain how negative and generally uncreative they become. I had forgotten what a great personality Graham has and now under his new doctor (neurologist) he is back. Back to his old self. It’s wonderful.

Today however has not started well for me. Firstly I went to Estepona to change our social security registration, from Marbella to Estepona. When I got there I told them that we have a bar and that was it, I was then asked to bring about 6 other papers, because I was autonomous (Self employed) Why is it that European government officials regard us self-employed people, as one of the lower echelons of pond life? We pay more social security than staff employees, we add to the nations GNP, we create employment and we don’t draw unemployment pay (but of course we do make a nice profit, which I am not complaining about).

I called our flour supplier in Malaga on my mobile and asked if the 100kg of flour I had ordered on their answer phone was on the way. I almost died when they told me that they had received no such order on their answer phone. I told them that I had called them and left the order several times, but no. No message had been received. Graham very kindly offered to drive to their depot in Malaga and collect the flour. No good, they said. We don’t have any flour and won’t be getting a delivery until Thursday.

I was in tears. A bar/restaurant relying on home made pita bread and pizzas, with no flour.

Next we zoomed back to San Pedro to buy 100 kg of flour from the bakery at a rip-off price. We collected some meat also for the bar and then made a beeline for the garage café.

Coffee and toast on the terrace. I was so wound up that it took Graham 10 min to talk me back to semi reality, with his wise and comforting words.

Sitting on a terrace with fresh coffee and toast and the sun shining on your face, anger and frustration just melts away. Peace and tranquillity. Wonderful. I want to stay here forever!

No comments: